Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Scrappy Clutch

So I was asked by my Mother-In-Law to make a case for her newly acquired iPod Touch.  I dreamed up this  little number.  No mistakes, nicely sewn.


It totally fits the iPod and is great for when it's thrown in your purse and you don't want to damage the screen...or lose it in there. But, her iPod came with a silicone case which I tried to account for in my measurements but it was the first time I made this thing so it wasn't big enough.  So, I set out to make the Scrappy Clutch from "From an Igloo." I figured it'd fit the ipod (in it's grippy case) and all the cords and plugs that go with it. I thought it was super cute...until I tried to make it.  Ok, probably if I made it again I'd make it bigger (at least 2" on either side) and it'd go a lot smoother.  But I'm not going to be making it again anytime soon or else I'll gouge my eyes out with the seam ripper.  The problem lies in my sewing machine.  The free arm part of the machine is bigger and longer than the clutch. So sewing around the opening was challenging. I honestly stopped several times and took deep cleansing breaths.  And I did yell (not yell (no voice raised) but made it clear to leave me alone) at my husband. (Sorry, Dr. G Medical Examiner) But I had to finish the darn thing TODAY! Or else I'd have to deal with it tomorrow and I was totally done with it.  And here it is.


I don't know why the picture is sideways but I can't fix it. I'm sure it's just because I had such a hard time making it so why shouldn't I have a hard time blogging about it!?  It will fit all of the iPod stuff my Mother-In-Law has and it has a nice little strap (the only perfect part about the stupid thing) for comfort. The best part about it is IT'S DONE!  I was thankfully pulled out of my bad mood by watching The Proposal. If you've never seen it, watch it. Hilarious. Bound to cheer you up after a bad day of sewing. I made it. I didn't admire it. And now I'm giving it away. Forever......and going to finish my movie.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like ALL my sewing "adventures". I won't be trying this one. It turned out cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! This sounds very familiar, my old machine used have so many tantrums everything was delayed! Do you still have the pattern for the clutch? I made a few before and I just need the sizes but I can't fi d the fit out and her blog is set to private now. Please let me know if ou can help? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete