Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Streusel Coffee Cake

I made this delicious coffee cake today. I've been thinking about making if for a couple weeks and today happened to be the day.  I had my doubts when I was making the batter because it was sooo thick and there wasn't very much...but it is fab.  And puffs up like a gem.  The recipe is from A Bountiful Kitchen.  The recipe can be found here but I'm putting it on here because I actually remembered to take pictures and darn it, I'm going to use them!

Streusel Coffee Cake
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil (vegetable)

Streusel topping:
4 T brown sugar
2 T flour
1 t cinnamon
4 T butter
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
if not using nuts, add 1/2 cup flour (*I used a total of 4 T of flour for the topping and no nuts.  1/2 C just seemed like so much)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the first 4 cake ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the center, and add the wet ingredients. Mix just until all ingredients are incorporated. 
 Pour into a greased 8 or 9 inch cake pan (round or square).
Place brown sugar, flour and cinnamon for streusel into a small bowl. Cut butter into dry ingredients. Add chopped nuts, or more flour if omitting nuts. Crumble topping over batter . 
 Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm. 
Fresh out of the oven.
After cooling for a bit.
The final product. YUM!
Next time I make this, I would swirl some of the streusel into the batter and then cover the top.  The cake is really good but I think having some cinnamon in the middle would be nice.

1 comment: